Thursday 30 September 2010

Supporting me in the Royal Parks half marathon

I've now got my race pack for the Royal Parks Half Marathon next Sunday and it includes a route map and some estimated times that runners might be at each point.

I'm still anticipating that this race might be quite a challenge so it would be great if anybody felt like coming along to cheer me!

You can find the route map on the Race website.

Here is a list of when I expect to roughly be at each point (very hard to predict)  on Sunday 10 October:

Mile 1 - Constitution Hill in Green Park - between 9.50 - 10.05
Mile 2 - By the Houses of Parliament - between 10.00 and 10.17
Mile 3 - at the top of Waterloo Bridge - between 10.10 and 10.29
Mile 4 - the other side of the road to mile 3, near Emankment tube station, around Victoria Embankment gardens - between 10.20 and 10.41
Mile 5 - On the Mall - around 10.35-10.53
Mile 6 - near the Hyde Park corner entrance to Hyde Park on Serpentine Road - between 10.50 and 11.05
Mile 7 - towards the top of West Carriage drive in Hyde Park - between about 11 and 11.17
Mile 8 - you'll have to look at hte map for this, it's in the middle of the park - between 11.15 and 11.29
Mile 9 - kind of parallel with the bottom of park lane but in Hyde Park - between 11.25 and 11.41
Mile 10 - North Carriage drive, not terribly far from Lancaster Gate station - between 11.40 and 11.55
Mile 11 - Look at the map again, it looks like it's sort of a bit in front of Kensington Palace - 11.50-12.05
Mile 12 - Look at the map! - between 11.55 and 12.17
The finish line!!! - at the bottom of Hyde Park, near Knightsbridge tube, where the start was! - between 12.10 and 12.29

Please bear in mind that this might be completely inaccurate.  It's kind of based on something a bit more optimistic than the times that they predict the slowest runners will run in - 12 minute miles.  I'm currently training at about 11.5 minute miles but hope to be maybe slightly faster on the day (bear with me, I'm VERY slow!)  I guess they're probably anticipating that people towards the back will take a long time to get through the start line as well.  The timings above assume I might take up to 10 minutes to cross the start line and hopefully it won't be that long so perhaps arrive a little earlier (the race starts at 9.30).

For the enterprising amongst you, hopefully you will be able to see me at several points and therefore will have some idea of how I'm doing.  Having said that, I'd really appreciate it even if you only came to one point just to give me a brief wave!  It will make all the difference I'm sure!

Thanks everyone and wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment